Thursday, October 04, 2007

Top 5 Asian Horror Flicks

Though I've not watched allllllll the Asian horror flicks out there... I've watched enough to know that I have a handful of favorites and not so favorites...

****Contains SPOILERS****

First here are my Top 5:

1. The Eye - Oh man, where do I begin about this movie? It was so perfect when I watched it... This movie had me paranoid for really long time. Basic story is that a woman who been blind for 20 years, after her cornea transplant she begins to see that normal people wouldn't see. That's one thing I'm worried about... seeing things I won't and shouldn't see... Anyways... She decides to find out who the cornea donar was to fully understand what's happening to her. There were many scenes in the movie that was so trippy, particularly the elevator scene: she looks at the TV monitors to make sure there's nothing in the elevator and gets in. All the sudden she realizes there's an old man with an indented head standing next to her... "It" begins to move towards her, inch by inch... She needs to get to the 15th floor but it seems like forever as the old man's ghost inches towards to possess her. It's hard to describe, you just have to see it... The ending works well in the shock factor... I did'nt see it come... at all! Oh man oh man! It's a MUST watch for anyone who enjoys "supernatural" horror flicks. (There are Tamil "Athu" & Hindi "Naina" version to this movie, and apparently American remake is on the way... they gonna screw it up!)

2. The Dorm - This slow paced, yet strangely sweet tale of kids in boarding school and things that go on along with a popular ghost story for cheap thrills. The new boy befriends the ghost boy obviously... there friendship is sweet, and the way the ghost boy gets his thrill from tricks particularly funny. He does go missing every evening though to relive his death (supposedly a belief that the ghost will relive the ghastly ways of his/her death everyday at exact time). There's a scene where all the boys were watching an old vampire flick on their movie night... They were imitating everything said on the screen, such as... hold your breath and the ghost can't see you because it can't smell you... and in unisom the boys hold their breath and the ghost boy gets up and looks around to see all the boys disappeared... It created such powerful emotions because he was all ALONE... Good movie!

3. Wishing Stairs - A little take of Korean school horror anyone? Apparently there are 4 sets to this, though they are not all connected, but they have similar theme (school). The first one I watched, "Whispering corridors", it was a good one, and I liked it until I watched "Wishing stairs".. which was better and more enjoyable than the first one I watched. Anyone of you had a best friend in school who was always better than you and wanted to be better than you? But really truely loved you anyway? Yeah, I dunno what I'm talking about too... but this movie is about friendship and some nasty side effects... "jealousy".

4. Shutter - I think the best part of this movie is the ending! No.. It wasn't a bad movie... just that the ending was so shocking and eerie. This is movie is about a female ghost chasing after a group of boys who done her wrong long ago. All I can say is... sometimes the pain in the neck might not all be explained through medical reasoning, and best becareful about the promises you make eh? Hehehe

5. Silk - What keeps a ghost still wandering on this earth? Vengence? Love? A scientist trying to find the answer to this captures a child ghost. It's a pretty good movie... I thought the main guy was cute, so it was easier to like it... HAHA.


Few more good ones to watch:

My left eye sees ghost - This is a sweet movie... tugs at yourt heart. Somewhat mushy, and funny... It had me all emotional for a few days. I know I'm turning into a big cheesecake.

The Eye 10 - I duno if this is a spoof on the eye or not... but it's actually 10 ways to see ghost... and it's really funny and will have you rolling on the floor... well if you are into that kind of stuff.

Echo

TXT

One missed call

Phone

Premonition (not the english movie)

Acacia

Pamahiin (Superstition)

Face

Inner senses

Feng Shui


Strictly AVOID "Marebito", "Audition", "Marronier"

No comments: